Wednesday, December 6, 2017

A Template

“The best way to save time updating your resume and cover letter is using a template.” (ClassyCareerGirl.com)

You have finally discovered a job that fits your personality perfectly. It took you months of scouring the Internet to find your employment passion. Your networking with other individuals and organizations paid off. It’s time to apply for this dream job.
Impress this possible future employer with your excellent online application. How do you make your own great first impression? Amaze them with your fantastic cover letter. When it comes to a cover letters, there’s so much pressure to impress the hiring manager. One goof-up could land your application in the trash.

Eighteen percent of employers say a creative cover letter is appreciated. Allow your personality to shine through with this important document. It will distinguish you from other job seekers applying for the same position. Here are five unconventional ways to allow your cover letter to stand apart from the others:

1.   Break it down: Employers like numbers when they have meaning. If you choose to use numbers to illustrate your experience in your cover letter, use them within context. This will allow employers to understand your accomplishments and how they qualify you for the position.

Example: 640 hours, 50 volunteers, eight weeks, one event. That’s what it takes pull together Spring City’s Annual Community Expo.

2.   Illustrate your passions, dreams, and goals: Employers not only want to hear why you’re qualified for the position, but they also want to know why you chose your career path. Employers want to hire passionate employees because they know these individuals will be motivated to do their job.

Example: Content marketing, social media, and research are my passions and areas of expertise. Not only are these my passions, but also I believe these skills are the foundation for any digital marketing professional. These passions, combined with my enthusiasm, would make me a great candidate for your Digital Media Manager position at ABC Marketing, Inc.

3.   Say it in 140 characters or less: Brevity is important when applying for any job. The shorter and more powerful statement you can create, the stronger your cover letter will be. Remember, employers don’t have a lot of time to review cover letters and resumes. However, if you can make your introduction short and sweet, you’ll help the employer decide if they should keep reading.

Example: Design and nature are my elements. Let me tell you how my web design experience will help you protect the environment.

4.   Speak as if you’re already hired: When you jump into writing your cover letter, shift your mindset to as if you’re already hired. Pretend you’re in the break room and one of your coworkers or manager asks you why you chose to work at their company. This is a great way to show your interest in your cover letter.

Example: When I discovered Accounting Solutions was hiring, I knew I had to apply. I’ve been waiting to find a company where I feel like I can make a difference while working as an accountant. Not only are your clients awesome, but the overall mission of your company is something I believe in, too.

5.   Tell a mini anecdote: Telling a story in your cover letter allows employers to see your more personal side. When employers search for candidates, they’re not only looking at your qualifications, but they also know if you’d be a good fit for their culture, too. By telling a story that relates to your career path, it will allow you to reveal your genuine self to the reader.

Example: I fell in love with basketball at a very young age. Not only do I love the sport itself, but also I loved the numbers behind the scores. Because of this life-long interest in sports and numbers, I believe I would be an excellent candidate for the Data Analyst position for the Washington Wildcats.

6.   Use a quote describing your work ethic: Although it may seem cliché to use a quote in your cover letter (when used well and in context) a quote can add more value to your cover letter. Select a quote that relates to your experience, passions, and the position for which you’re applying. Once you find a quote, tie it into the elements of your experience and explain how it summarizes your qualifications.

Example: Stephen R. Covey once said, “Accountability breeds response-ability.” As an experienced manager, I believe accountability is the key to success in any work environment. In every management position I’ve had, I’ve encouraged my employees to be accountable for their successes and failures, which is why my leadership style will be a great fit for this position.  

 “The best cover letters I've read are from people who have a passion for my company, and can make that passion come to life on a page. The letters that make me say, 'Yes! This person really gets it…At the end of the day; I want to hire people who already get it. Most hiring managers do.” (Kathryn Minshew) [i]



[i] Adapted from: “6 Unconventional Ways to Start Your Cover Letter” Heather Huhman
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...